Fire safety tips from SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington.
See fire? Get out, and stay out!
Did you know that according to The National Fire Protection Association, Firefighters respond to a fire every 79 seconds? Sounds terrifying, we know! Here are a few precautionary steps that may help you reduce the risk of a fire.
- A working smoke alarm in each room can definitely make the difference in your home. The batteries on the smoke alarms should be inspected monthly, just to make certain that the batteries are still intact.
- Make sure that you have a fire extinguisher in each level of your home; Also that every member of the household knows how to use them properly.
- Reduce the risk of a fire outside of your home. You can do this by removing dead trees, shrubs, and debris at least 30 feet away from your home; also by maintaining your gutters, roof, and eaves clear from debris.
- Be sure to keep candles away from curtains, furniture, and out of the reach of children.
Keep your home safe this 4th of July, and remember “We’re here to help” should you need your local SERVPRO!
Careful with that Grill!
Be Grill cautious.
After all the spring showers and flash floods this year it is refreshing to know that summer has begun. Along with hot summer nights come delicious barbecues with a grill. While it may seem like something ordinary, a grill is actually cooking equipment which we should be cautious with. Did you know that 9,600 home fires are started by grills each year! You may ask yourself, what can I do to avoid a grill involved incident? According to The NFPA, “five out of six (or 82%) grills involved in home fires were fueled by gas, while 14% used charcoal or other solid fuel”. Simply changing your methods can drastically reduce the possibility of a grill caused home fire. For more tips and suggestions check out www.nfpa.org . Remember that SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Get out, and stay out!
A kid’s favorite thing to hear is that Schools out. Summer time brings so much joy to children. After a long school year they finally get to relax and unwind. To parents however it brings worry, and stress. Will my children be safe at home? If something happens, will they know what to do? SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington has a few tips for you on having your children prepared in case of a fire.
- Teach your children what smoke alarms sound like, and what to do when they hear one.
- Ensure that all household members know two ways to escape from each room, and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
- Establish a family emergency communications plan, and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
- Practice escaping from your house at least twice a year.
- Make sure everyone knows how to dial 9-1-1.
- Teach household members how to stop, drop, and roll in case their clothes were to catch on fire.
For more tips and recommendation’s contact SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington at (301)933-2425. Remember we’re always here to help, and make it "Like it never even happened.”
Faster to your Kensington/Wheaton water loss
Let the professionals handle it!
Along with a water loss comes a flood of emotions. You may be confused as to what to do next, or who to call. Here are a few tips on what your next steps should be, and whose information you should have handy just in case you have this unfortunate event happen to you.
First steps to follow for a water loss for clean water.
- Shut off the source of water if possible.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs.
- Hang furs and leather goods separately at room temperature.
- Do not use a regular vacuum to remove water.
- Remove oriental or other colored rugs/books/magazines from wet carpeting.
Whose information should you have handy?
- We recommend you have an Emergency Ready Plan in place with your local SERVPRO location. This will facilitate the process for both you and your local SERVPRO. In the ERP form we have most of the essential information needed to begin the mitigation process for your home or business.
- Your Insurance Adjuster should be notified immediately after or during your loss.
- Your Plumber should be notified if the loss occurred due to plumbing/pipe issues. If the loss occurred due to those issues they can repair the cause of the of the water loss.
Remember that when a water loss occurs you are in a sensitive time frame to be able to recuperate your personal property and prevent further damage such as mold etc... Have this important information ready just in case.Also keep in mind that our goal is to make it "Like it never even happened."
Your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help!
Emergency Ready Profile - Phone Application
Emergency Ready Profile - Phone Application
In times of emergency it is crucial to be prepared. The Emergency Ready Profile application is a great step in the right direction of preparedness. Download the application in App Store by searching SERVPRO. You can also login and see profiles at www.ready.SERVPRO.com. The application allows the user to:
- Add multiple location profiles.
- Take pictures of shut off locations for fire sprinklers, water, and gas.
- Add insurance information
- Add local police and firefighter phone numbers
There are many other features within the application. One of the most popular is that of sharing the profile. Once the ERP is finished the owner of the profile can share with anyone who needs to be prepared. Now all your emergency personnel can find the shut off location just by opening their shared profile.
We never hope that you have an emergency in your home or business, but if it does, we hope you are prepared. And like our motto says, we are always here to help!
Bathtub and Dishwasher Overflow
Bathtub overflow: It’s important to make sure that fittings, seals, pipes, etc. are inspected thoroughly to prevent issues such as water damage.
The bathtub overflow drain can be the cause of a leak, even though it is not the first place you'd usually suspect. A water stain in the ceiling below a bathroom is often the first sign of a problem with a tub overflow drain.
Dishwasher Overflow: Is this something you've experienced before? "Why is my dishwasher leaking, where is it coming from?" There are many questionable factors for why a dishwasher is leaking
In these cases, make sure to contact a licensed and trained professional, like SERVPRO, to fix the issue. Our technicians source out the problem and fix the surrounding areas affected by water damage. It's not a fun experience dealing with any type of unexpected home repair, or disaster. However, SERVPRO helps alleviate your stress and turn your home back to a comfortable and functional space. While catching the problem early, it saves time and money.
SERVPRO Duct Cleaning
Do you find that when you are doing laundry it's taking forever to dry your clothes?
Does your Furnace sound like a freight train?
More than likely this is because your air or exhaust ducts are in need of an extensive cleaning and the filters changed out.
When the dust builds up in your air ducts and exhaust system it causes your dryer and HVAC system to work overtime and shorten the life of these expensive items. Not only is this bad for your appliances and mechanical system, it's also a fire hazard.
When to Call Professionals for a Duct Cleaning Service?
- Call when dust begins appearing shortly after cleaning.
- Call when musty or stale odors are appearing when a furnace runs.
Why Should You Call?
- Avoiding an air-duct clean could affect anyone living the house with allergies or asthma.
- Dust, dirt, and pollen are pulled into the air duct system.
- Dismissing an air duct cleaning service could possibly lead room for mold, bacteria, fungus, and mildew to form.
- This will circulate whenever the furnace turns on.
- The services offered removes any mold or other contaminants providing a clean air circulation throughout your home.
- The Benefits of Servicing Your HVAC Unit Include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
Be sure to clean out your air ducts and vents at least once a year in order to keep the airflow in your house clean and safe. Call to schedule an appointment today.
Types of Contaminated Water
Did you know that there are three different types of contaminated water that can cause water damage? The three different types of contaminated water are clean water, gray water, and black water. SERVPRO comes across all of these types of water in the field. Here are the 3 major differences.
Clean Water:This type of water generally comes from a clean source like a broken water supply line or faucet. Depending on the time it has been left, the temperature, contact with bacteria, and surrounding contaminates, this water can quickly become gray or black water. This is the most common type of water damage.
Gray Water: This type of water and water damage can cause discomfort or illness as it likely contains bacteria and illness. When left untreated, gray water will quickly become black water and the water damages associated with black water is much worse.
Black Water: This water and its water damages generally spawn from sewage, biological hazards, or flooding from rivers and streams. If left untreated, it will cause microbial growth, severe illness, and even possibly death.
The best solution when there is any kind of flooding or water damage is to have it treated as soon as it is noticed. Hiring a professional company like SERVPRO is recommended as they can give advice on why the flood occurred, the category of the flood, and how to prevent water damages.
Are you Prepared?
Severe weather can happen any time, anywhere. Each year, Americans cope with an average of the following intense storms*:
- 10,000 severe thunderstorms
- 5,000 floods or flash floods
- 1,000 tornadoes
- 2 landfalling deadly hurricanes
Approximately 98 percent of all presidentially declared disasters are weather-related, leading to around 500 deaths per year and nearly $15 billion in damage. * Knowing your risk of severe weather, taking action and being an example are just a few steps you can take to be better prepared to save your life and assist in saving the lives of others.
How to be prepared:
- A gallon of water per person per day.
- Supply of non-perishable packaged or canned food and a manual can opener.
- Change of clothing, rain gear and sturdy shoes.
- Blankets and sleeping bags.
- First aid kit and prescription medications.
- Battery-powered radio, flashlight and plenty of extra batteries.
- Credit cards, cash and extra set of car keys.
- List of family physicians.
- Special items for infants, elderly or disabled family members.
- Call SERVPRO to get an Emergency Readiness Plan into place for your facility. The plan can help minimize business interruption in the event of a disaster.
Mold Damage can be devastating. Once any sign of mold in home or office spaces becomes apparent, people should always reach out to SERVPRO.
After all, unchecked mold growth can ruin a structure:
Your structure can experience substantial dry rot, mold growth behind walls and other damage.
Office spaces may need to be vacated for significant repairs due to commercial mold damage.
Resale values can decline from commercial mold damage and mold in home spaces.
Mold growth behind wall studs can warp walls. Lingering, foul smells can make extensive deodorization necessary.
How to Know When a Home or Business Is at Risk of Mold Damage?
Due to mold's makeup, it can exist insignificantly in many places. As a result, most indoor spaces contain some mold. For structural integrity, owners and lessees must not allow mold growth to proliferate.
People sometimes confuse mildew with mold. Mildew is a fungus that likes flat surfaces. Often, folks can simply wipe away mildew. Though it is also a fungus, mold growth is very different from mildew.
Here are a few things to look out for if you are suspecting mold growth:
Discoloration on walls, floors or ceilings
Cracks in any surface in your structure
SERVPRO Professionals can provide
Mold fungus mitigation
Deodorization of smelly odors
Removal of dry rot
Expert handling of black mold
Termination of mold growth behind walls
Mold removal services can turn dry rot, smelly odors and other warning signs into memories.
Importantly, total mold removal is an impossible goal. Mold is tiny and abundant, so mold remediation experts carefully cleanse problem areas and help people take steps to prevent the return of mold growth behind wall segments, beneath floor pieces and across ceilings.
Call our professional team for an estimate if you suspect mold growth in your structure.