Fall Cleaning tip from your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington.
What's in your ducts?
Fall cleaning? Is there such a thing as fall cleaning? Is spring cleaning not enough?
Although adding a chore like fall cleaning doesn’t sound like any fun, it can benefit you and your family’s health! A service that we recommend around this time is a good old fashioned Duct Cleaning. Having your ducts cleaned can avoid health issues like allergies. The dust, dirt, and pollen collected in your ducts can cause issues like worsening asthma symptoms. Not cleaning your ducts can also cause stale odors in your home. Cleaning your ducts will remove mold or other contaminants that may be spreading inside your home now. You may ask yourself, how frequently do I need to have my ducts serviced? That depends on a few different things such as, the size of the home, the amount of people that live in the home, and if you have pets or not.
Call your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington to determine how frequently you should clean your ducts, and for your free estimate!
Preparedness Month at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
Where is you main water shut off valve?
Knowing where to shut off your water source in case of a flood is vital. We don’t mean the sink or water hose, we mean the main shut off. If your home is flooding and you can’t find the source, shutting off the main water valve is your next step. By doing this, you avoid further water damage. We recommend that you label your main water shut off valve with clear lettering, like the picture shown above. If you would like a label like this one, you’re local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington will be happy to provide one at no charge! Keep in mind that we are always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Home Emergency Kits from SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
One of the things we pride ourselves in is trying to help the community by being prepared for a fire or a water loss. We make an effort to spread the word on being prepared. There is no better time to prepare then before a disaster. In this effort we offer free Home Emergency Ready Kits. This kit contains vital information that will better prepare you for a disaster. Below is a list that the Home Ready kits include, along with essential information you should know.
- Emergency Supply Check List
- Home Evacuation Plan
- Home Contents Inventory list for each room
- Family Emergency Communication Plan
- Disaster Preparedness Brochure – What You Can Do
Contact us today for your FREE Home Emergency Kit! We will gladly assist you with any questions you may have. Remember that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened”.
Home Emergency Evacuation Plan
Get out, stay out!
Are you ready for a fire, if a fire were to happen in your home? Where would you go? What do you take with you? Who do you call?
Most home owners are not prepared for an unfortunate event like a fire in their home. Fortunately SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is here to remind you. Nobody ever expects to be a victim of a fire loss, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t prepare for one.
A home Evacuation plan is a precautionary measure you should review with everyone in your household. It is a sketch drawing of your home including all of the possible exits and escape routes. It’s recommended that you include at least two exits. In your home sketch include all of the rooms in your home, including restrooms. Draw markers like trees, fences, or your mailbox. Each room should have arrows pointing towards the exit route, and towards the meeting place.
The meeting place is where everyone in the household should reunite in case you are separated during the process of evacuation. Keep in mind that during the process of evacuation you should worry about getting out as quickly and as safely as possible, don’t worry about appliances and furniture. Those things are replaceable, you aren’t!
Once you are safely out of your home call 911. They will contact the fire department, police department, and ambulance if needed.
Give us a call for a free sketch sheet for the home emergency evacuation plan. Remember were always here to help!
Did you know that mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours?
Mold spores are all around us! Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which just isn’t true. Unfortunately it is impossible to remove all mold from your home/business, however our mold remediation services can reduce the spore count back to its Natural state.
Here are some tips to help you defend your Home/Business from mold.
- Keep the humidity between 30-60 percent in your home.
- Provide the proper drainage away from building foundations.
- Regularly inspect plumbing and appliances for leaks.
- Keep gutters and drains clear from debris.
- Inspect roof, windows, and other areas where water might enter the building/home and perform necessary maintenance.
- Respond to all water intrusions immediately.
- Contact SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington for assistance after a water damage or if you discover mold.
Keep in mind that Prompt mitigation is vital to avoid mold growth which can be visible in as little as 48 hours. Protect your home/business from mold!
Call our highly trained team at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington to inspect your home/business today!
Fire safety tips from SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington.
See fire? Get out, and stay out!
Did you know that according to The National Fire Protection Association, Firefighters respond to a fire every 79 seconds? Sounds terrifying, we know! Here are a few precautionary steps that may help you reduce the risk of a fire.
- A working smoke alarm in each room can definitely make the difference in your home. The batteries on the smoke alarms should be inspected monthly, just to make certain that the batteries are still intact.
- Make sure that you have a fire extinguisher in each level of your home; Also that every member of the household knows how to use them properly.
- Reduce the risk of a fire outside of your home. You can do this by removing dead trees, shrubs, and debris at least 30 feet away from your home; also by maintaining your gutters, roof, and eaves clear from debris.
- Be sure to keep candles away from curtains, furniture, and out of the reach of children.
Keep your home safe this 4th of July, and remember “We’re here to help” should you need your local SERVPRO!
Careful with that Grill!
Be Grill cautious.
After all the spring showers and flash floods this year it is refreshing to know that summer has begun. Along with hot summer nights come delicious barbecues with a grill. While it may seem like something ordinary, a grill is actually cooking equipment which we should be cautious with. Did you know that 9,600 home fires are started by grills each year! You may ask yourself, what can I do to avoid a grill involved incident? According to The NFPA, “five out of six (or 82%) grills involved in home fires were fueled by gas, while 14% used charcoal or other solid fuel”. Simply changing your methods can drastically reduce the possibility of a grill caused home fire. For more tips and suggestions check out www.nfpa.org . Remember that SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Get out, and stay out!
A kid’s favorite thing to hear is that Schools out. Summer time brings so much joy to children. After a long school year they finally get to relax and unwind. To parents however it brings worry, and stress. Will my children be safe at home? If something happens, will they know what to do? SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington has a few tips for you on having your children prepared in case of a fire.
- Teach your children what smoke alarms sound like, and what to do when they hear one.
- Ensure that all household members know two ways to escape from each room, and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
- Establish a family emergency communications plan, and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
- Practice escaping from your house at least twice a year.
- Make sure everyone knows how to dial 9-1-1.
- Teach household members how to stop, drop, and roll in case their clothes were to catch on fire.
For more tips and recommendation’s contact SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington at (301)933-2425. Remember we’re always here to help, and make it "Like it never even happened.”
Faster to your Kensington/Wheaton water loss
Let the professionals handle it!
Along with a water loss comes a flood of emotions. You may be confused as to what to do next, or who to call. Here are a few tips on what your next steps should be, and whose information you should have handy just in case you have this unfortunate event happen to you.
First steps to follow for a water loss for clean water.
- Shut off the source of water if possible.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs.
- Hang furs and leather goods separately at room temperature.
- Do not use a regular vacuum to remove water.
- Remove oriental or other colored rugs/books/magazines from wet carpeting.
Whose information should you have handy?
- We recommend you have an Emergency Ready Plan in place with your local SERVPRO location. This will facilitate the process for both you and your local SERVPRO. In the ERP form we have most of the essential information needed to begin the mitigation process for your home or business.
- Your Insurance Adjuster should be notified immediately after or during your loss.
- Your Plumber should be notified if the loss occurred due to plumbing/pipe issues. If the loss occurred due to those issues they can repair the cause of the of the water loss.
Remember that when a water loss occurs you are in a sensitive time frame to be able to recuperate your personal property and prevent further damage such as mold etc... Have this important information ready just in case.Also keep in mind that our goal is to make it "Like it never even happened."
Your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help!
Emergency Ready Profile - Phone Application
Emergency Ready Profile - Phone Application
In times of emergency it is crucial to be prepared. The Emergency Ready Profile application is a great step in the right direction of preparedness. Download the application in App Store by searching SERVPRO. You can also login and see profiles at www.ready.SERVPRO.com. The application allows the user to:
- Add multiple location profiles.
- Take pictures of shut off locations for fire sprinklers, water, and gas.
- Add insurance information
- Add local police and firefighter phone numbers
There are many other features within the application. One of the most popular is that of sharing the profile. Once the ERP is finished the owner of the profile can share with anyone who needs to be prepared. Now all your emergency personnel can find the shut off location just by opening their shared profile.
We never hope that you have an emergency in your home or business, but if it does, we hope you are prepared. And like our motto says, we are always here to help!