When winter weather strikes…We strike back!
With the first real signs of winter arriving last week, it’s important to know what you can do to prepare your residential our business property.
PREPARE YOUR HOME:
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated or uninsulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it to off.
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
PREPARE YOUR BUSINESS:
- Check your business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Weather, such as wind, heavy rain, ice and snow, can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Inspect property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells, and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surface and post caution signs where water could be present.
- Contact our office at 301-933-2425 and speak with Ingrid about obtaining an Emergency Ready profile for your business.
All in all, please be safe this winter, and if you are in need of our assistance, we are always here to help.