October is fire preparedness month at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington!
Do you know what to do in case there is a fire in your home or business? If not, your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington has you covered! Below are tips to help you prepare for a disaster like a fire courtesy of The American Red Cross.
- Install the right number of smoke alarms. Test them once a month and replace the batteries at least once a year.
- Teach children what smoke alarms sound like and what to do when they hear one.
- Ensure that all household members know two ways to escape from every room of your home and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
- Establish a family emergency communications plan and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
- Practice escaping from your home at least twice a year. Press the smoke alarm test button or yell “Fire“ to alert everyone that they must get out.
- Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1
- Teach household members to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.
Being prepared is a detrimental aspect when it comes to making sure that your family and employees are safe in case of a fire event. Always remember that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”