Christmas tree precautions from your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington!
Happy Holidays from your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington!
Though Christmas is a time for celebration, it is wise to be cautious too. Old fashioned Christmas trees were displayed with wax on live tree branches to simulate snow. Since then we’ve grown wiser, and safer. Your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is her to help with safety tips to reduce the risk of a fire caused by Christmas trees.
- Be sure to water your live trees, this decreases dryness on the branches. Dry needles and wood are more likely to catch on fire quicker.
- Avoid plugging more than 3 strings into one outlet. It’s best to opt for a power strip.
- Discard light strings that are worn or broken.
- Always remember to turn off your Christmas tree when leaving your home.
- When placing your tree in your home, choose wisely. Make sure that your Christmas tree does not block an exit. Also, try to keep it at least 3 feet away from any heat sources like space heaters, candles, fireplaces, heat vents or lamps.
For this Christmas season keep yourself and your family safe. We hope that you find these safety precautions helpful. Always remember that your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened”.
Biohazard and crime scene cleanup from SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
We are always her to help, and make it "Like it never even happened"!
There are different types of biohazard contaminants, however all of them are harmful to your health. Weather its blood borne pathogens, crime scene residues, or sewage backups, these situations can pose serious health risks. Your SERVPRO professionals can safely clean and remove biohazardous substances and dispose of them properly in accordance with OSHA and health regulations. Here are a few tips on what you can do in case this unfortunate incident happens to you.
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treatallbodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
After any incident involving biohazard contaminants your main focus should be keeping your family safe. Keep your local SERVPRO ofWheaton/Kensington in mind. We have you and your family’s best interest in mind. Our focus is to get your home or business to its back to its prior state, and make it “Like it never even happened”.
Why SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington?
Your SERVPRO superheroes!
Who can you trust when you are a victim of a disaster like a flood, or a fire? When these situations happen you may feel vulnerable, or even impotent. You may ask yourself, who should I trust? Will they have my best interest in mind? The question will then become, why SERVPRO?
- Our team is certified through IICRC for water, fire, mold and bio clean ups.
- We are the leading name in our industry, with years of experience.
- With over 1,700 franchise licenses to operate across the U.S, and Canada, you can believe that we are experienced and trained to take care of you.
- We are a part of a franchise system, but we are also independently owned and operated. You will received detailed attention every time!
- We are your one stop for cleaning, repairing, and managing your loss.
- We work with adjusters! We provide pictures, dry logs, and detailed explanations as to what needs to be done, and what is being done at your home or business.
- We can handle both residential, and commercial losses. With the support of our franchise, we feel confident enough to say that there is no job to big or too small for us.
Remember that having the support of a team like ours can make the difference with how quickly you recover from a disaster. When you think about clean up and restoration, think green, think SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington!
Fall Cleaning tip from your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington.
What's in your ducts?
Fall cleaning? Is there such a thing as fall cleaning? Is spring cleaning not enough?
Although adding a chore like fall cleaning doesn’t sound like any fun, it can benefit you and your family’s health! A service that we recommend around this time is a good old fashioned Duct Cleaning. Having your ducts cleaned can avoid health issues like allergies. The dust, dirt, and pollen collected in your ducts can cause issues like worsening asthma symptoms. Not cleaning your ducts can also cause stale odors in your home. Cleaning your ducts will remove mold or other contaminants that may be spreading inside your home now. You may ask yourself, how frequently do I need to have my ducts serviced? That depends on a few different things such as, the size of the home, the amount of people that live in the home, and if you have pets or not.
Call your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington to determine how frequently you should clean your ducts, and for your free estimate!
Preparedness Month at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
Where is you main water shut off valve?
Knowing where to shut off your water source in case of a flood is vital. We don’t mean the sink or water hose, we mean the main shut off. If your home is flooding and you can’t find the source, shutting off the main water valve is your next step. By doing this, you avoid further water damage. We recommend that you label your main water shut off valve with clear lettering, like the picture shown above. If you would like a label like this one, you’re local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington will be happy to provide one at no charge! Keep in mind that we are always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Home Emergency Kits from SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
One of the things we pride ourselves in is trying to help the community by being prepared for a fire or a water loss. We make an effort to spread the word on being prepared. There is no better time to prepare then before a disaster. In this effort we offer free Home Emergency Ready Kits. This kit contains vital information that will better prepare you for a disaster. Below is a list that the Home Ready kits include, along with essential information you should know.
- Emergency Supply Check List
- Home Evacuation Plan
- Home Contents Inventory list for each room
- Family Emergency Communication Plan
- Disaster Preparedness Brochure – What You Can Do
Contact us today for your FREE Home Emergency Kit! We will gladly assist you with any questions you may have. Remember that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened”.
Home Emergency Evacuation Plan
Get out, stay out!
Are you ready for a fire, if a fire were to happen in your home? Where would you go? What do you take with you? Who do you call?
Most home owners are not prepared for an unfortunate event like a fire in their home. Fortunately SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is here to remind you. Nobody ever expects to be a victim of a fire loss, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t prepare for one.
A home Evacuation plan is a precautionary measure you should review with everyone in your household. It is a sketch drawing of your home including all of the possible exits and escape routes. It’s recommended that you include at least two exits. In your home sketch include all of the rooms in your home, including restrooms. Draw markers like trees, fences, or your mailbox. Each room should have arrows pointing towards the exit route, and towards the meeting place.
The meeting place is where everyone in the household should reunite in case you are separated during the process of evacuation. Keep in mind that during the process of evacuation you should worry about getting out as quickly and as safely as possible, don’t worry about appliances and furniture. Those things are replaceable, you aren’t!
Once you are safely out of your home call 911. They will contact the fire department, police department, and ambulance if needed.
Give us a call for a free sketch sheet for the home emergency evacuation plan. Remember were always here to help!
Did you know that mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours?
Mold spores are all around us! Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which just isn’t true. Unfortunately it is impossible to remove all mold from your home/business, however our mold remediation services can reduce the spore count back to its Natural state.
Here are some tips to help you defend your Home/Business from mold.
- Keep the humidity between 30-60 percent in your home.
- Provide the proper drainage away from building foundations.
- Regularly inspect plumbing and appliances for leaks.
- Keep gutters and drains clear from debris.
- Inspect roof, windows, and other areas where water might enter the building/home and perform necessary maintenance.
- Respond to all water intrusions immediately.
- Contact SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington for assistance after a water damage or if you discover mold.
Keep in mind that Prompt mitigation is vital to avoid mold growth which can be visible in as little as 48 hours. Protect your home/business from mold!
Call our highly trained team at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington to inspect your home/business today!
Fire safety tips from SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington.
See fire? Get out, and stay out!
Did you know that according to The National Fire Protection Association, Firefighters respond to a fire every 79 seconds? Sounds terrifying, we know! Here are a few precautionary steps that may help you reduce the risk of a fire.
- A working smoke alarm in each room can definitely make the difference in your home. The batteries on the smoke alarms should be inspected monthly, just to make certain that the batteries are still intact.
- Make sure that you have a fire extinguisher in each level of your home; Also that every member of the household knows how to use them properly.
- Reduce the risk of a fire outside of your home. You can do this by removing dead trees, shrubs, and debris at least 30 feet away from your home; also by maintaining your gutters, roof, and eaves clear from debris.
- Be sure to keep candles away from curtains, furniture, and out of the reach of children.
Keep your home safe this 4th of July, and remember “We’re here to help” should you need your local SERVPRO!
Careful with that Grill!
Be Grill cautious.
After all the spring showers and flash floods this year it is refreshing to know that summer has begun. Along with hot summer nights come delicious barbecues with a grill. While it may seem like something ordinary, a grill is actually cooking equipment which we should be cautious with. Did you know that 9,600 home fires are started by grills each year! You may ask yourself, what can I do to avoid a grill involved incident? According to The NFPA, “five out of six (or 82%) grills involved in home fires were fueled by gas, while 14% used charcoal or other solid fuel”. Simply changing your methods can drastically reduce the possibility of a grill caused home fire. For more tips and suggestions check out www.nfpa.org . Remember that SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”